[pulseaudio-discuss] distortion and clipping with 0.9.15-test3

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Mar 5 14:32:03 PST 2009

I'm using 0.9.15-test3 with various applications including rhythmbox and
I am noticing the audio will be distorted and clipping at times, although
the overall output volume is quite reasonable (I'm 40, not 15).

Looking in the volume control I have RB set (in the Playback tab) at 49%
volume and the actual sound card (in Output Devices) at 49% also.  These
seem like reasonable values that should not cause the louder sequences in
various tracks to distort or clip.  They certainly didn't with the 0.9.10
that I am upgrading from.

Oh crap.  Having the volume control open just triggered:

E: core.h: Assertion 'pa_object_refcnt(pa_object_cast(o)) > 0' failed at ./pulsecore/core.h:159, function pa_core_assert_ref(). Aborting.

again.  ~sigh~

b.