[pulseaudio-discuss] Question wrt recording

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Mar 10 23:29:07 PDT 2009

2009/3/10 Magnus Hjorth <magnus.hjorth at home.se>:
> According to the docs for libpulse, pa_stream_set_overflow_callback is only
> for playback streams.

I'm fairly sure that's an error happened when copying the
documentation from pa_stream_set_underflow_callback. Overflow is a
problem when recording and underflow when playing back, but according
to the documentation both callbacks are for playback streams only.

> Another question, is there a way to query for a source if there is any
> on-the-fly conversion going on, for example if  plug: is being used on Alsa?
> I'm a little concerned that some people might be recording with worse
> quality than they think and would like to be able to give some warning at
> least.

I don't think there is any way to query for stuff happening elsewhere
than pulseaudio. Anyway, this should seldomly be a problem - pulse
normally talks directly to the hardware, and plughw is only used when
pulseaudio can't handle the sample format that the device wants to use
(I'm not sure if that's even possible nowadays - pretty much anything
is supported).

--
Tanu Kaskinen