[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiple simultaneous sinks for a single stream

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at comcast.net
Thu Mar 12 09:49:10 PDT 2009

Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 03:45:04 Jud Craft wrote:
> > Is this possible? I haven't used Fedora in a month or two (which I
> > regard as close to upstream as I dare to venture), but I recall that
> > it was only possible to move a stream between sinks, as opposed to
> > selecting different sinks for playback.
> >
> > I'm not sure of a good use case for that one -- perhaps the ability to
> > listen to audio locally, and stream it over network to a nearby
> > location at the same time. Or, for multiple sets of outputs (I think
> > I seem to recall a discussion post Pulseaudio developers where it said
> > that Pulse could help link two or three different stereo outputs into
> > a virtual surround output, or something like that. Possibly my
> > understanding is in over it's league).
> >

> You can use RTP multicast to stream from one to many. Multicast
> reception can be enabled/disabled on each sink depending on who wants
> to listen to whatever you're broadcasting. Not quite what you're
> asking for but it does work. You can either multicast whatever you're
> listening to locally, or create a separate sink for multicasting.
>

> Mark
I have a related question to using Multicast/RTP receiver with a
Combined sink.

I have a central home server that has a Combined sink driving a USB
sound device and an internal sound card. These operate a surround sound
theater area and a wireless house audio system respectively.

When run a source player locally on this server, it by default sends to
the combined sink.

When I configure this server's pulseaudio server as a Multicast/RTP
receiver, and drive is from a PC in my home office, the sound only plays
on the USB sink, not the combined sink. I cannot find any configuration
knobs/buttons to affect the result. I can set the office PC to use the
server's pulseaudio server, but that seems like a work-around.

Any ideas?