[pulseaudio-discuss] gapless playback with PA support?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 19 06:12:54 PDT 2009

On Mon, 09.03.09 11:37, pl bossart (bossart.nospam at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Gapless playback is frequently listed as an issue by users, they complain
> about gaps in the audio when the player jumps from one playlist entry to the
> next one. So far each player has their own solution (or no support at all).
> Basically the idea is that while you are playing a stream, you start
> decoding the next one. When the first stream completes, the second one
> starts automatically, or you perform a cross-fade between the two. It seems
> to me that the linking and xfading could be done by PulseAudio instead of
> each player replicating the same behavior, has anyone looked into this?

I am not sure if PA is really the right place to do this. The only
functionality that I think would make sense to add to PA is the
ability to change sample specs/channel mappings for an active stream
during runtime. This has been requested before and will come
eventually.

If we have that functionality in PA then clients can gaplessly change
sample specs on-the-fly, without losing a single sample.