[pulseaudio-discuss] specifying ALSA mixer control

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Mar 24 04:26:40 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:36:32AM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Tomasz Torcz at 24/03/09 08:09 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 01:56:49AM -0500, kyle cronan wrote:
>>> --- pulseaudio-0.9.14/src/modules/module-alsa-sink.c	2009-01-12 17:11:38.000000000 -0600
>>
>>   Have you tried PA 0.9.15, with device profiles? They look like that:
>> http://dżogstaff.fordon.pl.eu.org/2009.03.25-pavc-profiles.png
>> and give separate sinks representing configuration you choose.
>>

> While I could be wrong (as I don't have much hardware to test despite
> writing the above feature in pavucontrol!), I don't think pulse probes for
> dual simultaneous outputs at present. As you can see in that screenshot the
> analog and digial outputs are exclusive...
>
> So while it's a step towards not requiring custom setups, it's not
> completely there yet.

  AFAIK this really depends on hardware. Above screenshot is from my
laptop (Centrino 2, Intel HDA on Connexant chip), I once saw this dialog
on computer with EMU10K card. The list was bigger than screen and there
were various combinations.
  So, if the card supports simultanous output to SPDIF and analog, there
will be two ink available. This is how I undestand profiles :)

  Another funny thing, my laptop has only analog jack for headphones.
Somehow chipset capabilities (or non existand dock capabilities) are
exposed, not the physical outputs.
--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray