[pulseaudio-discuss] specifying ALSA mixer control

kyle cronan kyle at pbx.org
Tue Mar 24 10:07:10 PDT 2009

2009/3/24 Tomasz Torcz <tomek at pipebreaker.pl>:
>  AFAIK this really depends on hardware. Above screenshot is from my
> laptop (Centrino 2, Intel HDA on Connexant chip), I once saw this dialog
> on computer with EMU10K card. The list was bigger than screen and there
> were various combinations.
>  So, if the card supports simultanous output to SPDIF and analog, there
> will be two ink available. This is how I undestand profiles :)

The problem is not that I had to manually specify two sinks in the
config file.  I don't mind doing that.  The problem is that the only
way for me to independently control the volume of the SPDIF was to
create a custom mixer control using softvol.  So I needed a way to
select this as the mixer for one of the sinks.

I tried installing the latest git sources on my Ubuntu Jaunty box but
it just broke sound in all my applications.  For my own purposes, I'm
going to need to start with the Ubuntu-patched 0.9.14.  However, if
you are willing to accept this patch I will forward port it so that it
applies to the latest sources.  It's a completely harmless change, so
why not apply it?

Thanks,
Kyle