[pulseaudio-discuss] Musings on stream device and volume restore rules

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 25 00:44:19 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 24/03/09 23:59 did gyre and gimble:
> In the case of USB headsets I think a rule that says if a new local
> output appears "move all streams (new and current)" to it option would
> cover 90% of cases with an option to toggle the rule off?
>
> Thats what I have running anyway at it works as I'd expect

Well with the priority lists and the fact it remembers previously
plugged in devices, I'd say that it's not a major issue. If a brand new,
never seen before device is plugged in, the real issue here is where
does it go in the priority list? If it goes to the top, you get what you
want here I think. The second time it's plugged in, it's already in the
list in some capacity so the rules as to whether to move the streams
across to it is pretty straightforward and clear.

So if the implementation section of my proposal is accepted, it would be
trivial to create a "module-new-devices-take-top-spot" module that
implements this policy.

(I think)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]