[pulseaudio-discuss] specifying ALSA mixer control

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 26 07:28:56 PDT 2009

On Tue, 24.03.09 12:26, Tomasz Torcz (tomek at pipebreaker.pl) wrote:

> > While I could be wrong (as I don't have much hardware to test despite
> > writing the above feature in pavucontrol!), I don't think pulse probes for
> > dual simultaneous outputs at present. As you can see in that screenshot the
> > analog and digial outputs are exclusive...
> >
> > So while it's a step towards not requiring custom setups, it's not
> > completely there yet.
>
>   AFAIK this really depends on hardware. Above screenshot is from my
> laptop (Centrino 2, Intel HDA on Connexant chip), I once saw this dialog
> on computer with EMU10K card. The list was bigger than screen and there
> were various combinations.

But only combinations of 0-1 inputs and 0-1 outputs. No 2 or more
outputs and/or 2 or more inputs at the same time.

>   So, if the card supports simultanous output to SPDIF and analog, there
> will be two ink available. This is how I undestand profiles :)

Sorry, this is not correct.

>   Another funny thing, my laptop has only analog jack for headphones.
> Somehow chipset capabilities (or non existand dock capabilities) are
> exposed, not the physical outputs.

This is problematic indeed. It is impossible for the driver to know
which connectors of the chips are actually soldered properly to
external connectors by the laptop manufacturer and which ones are
not -- unless we had an external database which knows this. But
honestly I believe that maintaining such a database is doomed to fail.