[pulseaudio-discuss] use 7.1 audio chip as 2x stereo?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 30 18:39:52 PDT 2009

hi,

i've built a home computer box that has two functions:
- it's our media centre, running xbmc (soon as some bugs are worked out)
on one screen via tv-out to our analog tv;
- it's the kids' computer, running various ubuntu programs and a VM of
windows for games on a dell lcd via the onboard nvidia 9300 chipset.

all of these functions work individually, under ubuntu jaunty for the
moment.  I may run this as a multiseat system with multiple x sessions,
so i can route the remote ir signal entirely to xbmc; but whether I do
this or not, my main problem right now is audio, which right now goes
through the onboard Realtek ALC1200 8 channel chipset.

I need audio for both functions, but only have one audio card.  Now,
this card has 8 audio channels, but what i really need is 2 stereo
outputs.  Is it possible, with pulse, to choose which channels to which
to route streams? I don't see anything in pavucontrol that would let me
do that, and I can imagine that it's impossible due to constraints from
the driver.

anyway, if you can help, i appreciate it!
thanks,

matt

--
Matt Price