[pulseaudio-discuss] use 7.1 audio chip as 2x stereo?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 31 02:41:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 10:29 +0200, Maarten Bosmans wrote:
> You have to manually edit the default startup script for Pulseaudio.
> In Ubuntu this is the file /etc/pulse/default/pa.
> Use module-remap-sink
> (http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-remap-sink) like this:
>
> load-module module-remap-sink master=sinkname channels=2
> channel_map=left,right master_channel_map=rear-left,rear-right
>

> As an example this is my setup:
> load-module module-alsa-sink tsched=0 sink_name=alsa_master
> device=hw:0 rate=48000 channels=6
> channel_map=aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5
> load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=computer master=alsa_master
> channels=2 channel_map=left,right master_channel_map=aux0,aux1
> load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=room1 master=alsa_master
> channels=1 channel_map=mono master_channel_map=aux4
> load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=room2 master=alsa_master
> channels=1 channel_map=mono master_channel_map=aux5
> load-module module-combine sink_name=everything slaves=computer,room1,room2
> update-sink-proplist computer device.description="Computer output"
> update-sink-proplist room1 device.description="Living room"
> update-sink-proplist room2 device.description="Kitchen"
> update-sink-proplist everything device.description="The whole house"
> set-default-sink copmuter

this example is enormously helpful.  will try to get tothis tonight,
thanks so much for your help (Tanu also)!

> The update-sink-proplist commands are only available in what's going
> to bet Pulseaudio 0.9.15.
> I set up pulse as a system daemon
> (http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemWideInstance), which might also be
> good
> for your purpose. To do this in Ubuntu, flip the switch in
> /etc/default/pulseaudio and alter the commands in the
> file /etc/pulse/system.pa.

thank you, again that's very helpful.  If I do indeed go with 2 x
sessions that's what i'll certainly do.  I guess then I could choose a
default virtual device for the user in charge of each X session, which
would be great.  thanks so much...

matt