[pulseaudio-discuss] PA volume effects

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri May 1 08:39:27 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Daniel Mack at 01/05/09 12:09 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 06:18:59PM +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> I'm observing strange audio artefacts with my audio driver which seem to
>> be related to audio material overamplification. IOW, the effect is only
>> audible at waveform peaks. When I attenuate the playback volume
>> pavucontrol, things get a lot worse - horrible distortion all over
>> the place, even in more quite audio sections.
>>
>> Also, when comparing the audio output of 'aplay -Dpulse foo.wav' with
>> 'aplay -Dplughw foo.wav', it is clearly audible that PA adds some kind
>> of amplification to the material (I would guess ~3dB), even though all
>> GUI accessible levels are set to 100%.
>
> Just for the records: this is fixed now in upstream git. Thanks a lot!

Is this a specific change since 0.9.15 release? If so do you know if
there are specific commits that can be backported to a 0.9.15 build to
address this.

I'm thinking for packagers here who are not allowed to just upgrade
things willy nilly, but want to provide bugfixes?

Lennart is pretty good at letting people know when he pushes specific
commits into the fedora package which is usually a good indicator, but
if you've got a heads-up, it'll keep us all on our toes :D

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]