[pulseaudio-discuss] 'module-rtp-send' suspending in PA 0.9.15?

Erich Boleyn erich at uruk.org
Sat May 2 10:59:49 PDT 2009

Greetings all,

I have been using Pulseaudio 0.9.14 mostly without incident on my
multi-room audio setup, when switching to 0.9.15, my audio recording
system suspends the audio source and never unsuspends it.

Setup on that system:
  --  Digital audio input into ALSA card.
  --  ALSA source created to get the input stream.
  --  'module-rtp-send' connected to that source.

The symptom:
  --  The sound (music in this case) plays for about 3-4 seconds
  --  It then suspends the source, and never comes out of the suspended
        state!

Clearly this is broken behavior.

When looking through the code in 'module-rtp-send.c', I see the following:

    pa_source_output_new(&o, m->core, &data, PA_SOURCE_OUTPUT_DONT_INHIBIT_AUTO_SUSPEND);

Now, I'm thinking of just removing that line in 'module-rtp-send.c',
but the real questions are:

    Why is that code there in the first place?  It clearly breaks my
    case of using an audio source.

    Is the real problem that "module-alsa-source" should not be treating
    this as an auto-suspend?  (I.e. it really should be transmitting
    forever)

It would be nice to have some feedback on the intended design issue
here so I can produce at least a relatively correct patch for the list.

--
    Erich Stefan Boleyn     <erich at uruk.org>     http://www.uruk.org/
"Reality is truly stranger than fiction; Probably why fiction is so popular"