[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse audio and NFS home directories.

mike _ arizonagroovejet at gmail.com
Sat May 9 08:19:50 PDT 2009

2009/5/8 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> On Fri, 08.05.09 11:46, mike _ (arizonagroovejet at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> -rw------- 1 xxxxx xx 3.1M 2009-05-08 08:52
>> 7c163669fa3688bf66ba6ccd49ef3bce:device-volumes.i686-suse-linux-gnu.gdbm
>> -rw------- 1 xxxxx xx 3.0M 2009-05-08 08:52
>> 7c163669fa3688bf66ba6ccd49ef3bce:stream-volumes.i686-suse-linux-gnu.gdbm
>
>> Is anyone able to offer an explanation and/or solution for why the
>> file sizes are so large on NFS, and/or why pulseaudio chocks when
>> ~/.pulse is a symbolic link?
>
> PA uses those to gdbm files to save/restore information like
> volume/mute/device for all streams and devices. Is it possible that
> simply because your NFS home directories are used across more machines
> mroe data ends up being stored in those gdbm files?

A very logical suggestion but one that makes me realise I omitted some
pertinent  information:

If I delete a user's .pulse directory, (from a non x-session whilst
they're not logged in anywhere else) then log in again as that user
with an NFS mounted home directory the files I cite as being several
megabytes in size grow to that size straight away. The user is only
logged in to one machine when the files reach that size so there
should be no more information in there than if the home directory was
on the local disk.

I'm not in a position to try the python you posted until Monday but
I'll try it both on a file that is several megabytes in an NFS home
directory and one of the much smaller files on the local disk and post
the results.

thanks,

mike