[pulseaudio-discuss] Playback 1s latency delay

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun May 10 07:12:37 PDT 2009

On Mon, 27.04.09 01:08, Ludovico Cavedon (ludovico.cavedon at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using pulseaudio 0.9.15 and alsa 1.0.19 on Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> I have noticed that when using ekiga or skype for voip calls I have more
> than 1 second delay in playback. More exactly:
>
> recording pulse, playback hw:0  --> very small RTT, below 1/4 sec
> recording hw:0, playback pulse  --> very high delay, above 1 sec
>
> This happens both with:
> -HDA-Intel Conexant codec sound card
> -using a bluetooth headset
>
> How can I do to reduce it or help debugging it?

PA configures the latency for its clients to what they ask for (in
certain limits). If an application doesn't get good latency than this
might be because it didn't ask for lower latencies.

If you pass tsched=0 to PA's ALSA modules this will disable dynamic
latency adjustments, to the effect that all apps will get the same
latency settings regardless what they ask for.

Other than that, this might have a veriety of reasons. An output of
"ls" in "pacmd" might help to figure out what clients asked for and
what they actually got.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net