[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse audio and NFS home directories.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 14 02:22:13 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 13/05/09 19:10 did gyre and gimble:
>> That leaves the issue of pulseaudio not working and saying ""failed to
>> create secure directory: permission denied" when ~/.pulse is a symlink
>> to somewhere on the local harddisk. Anyone got any ideas on that?
>
> We want to make sure nobody can play games with us and redirect
> ~/.pulse to some unsafe location. We hence verify that ~/.pulse is a
> proper directory.

If you really want to make ~/.pulse a local filesystem, you could bind
mount it before starting pulse but after mounting NFS

e.g.

Run once:
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/home/$USER/.pulse
sudo chown -R $USER.$USER /usr/local/home/$USER

Run at every boot:
sudo mount -o bind /usr/local/home/$USER/.pulse $HOME/.pulse

(make sure the perms are correct on both the mountpoint and the real
directory!)

That should work, but is a bit of a hick work around.

Hopefully the newly available tdm support will make this unnecessary.

(FWIW, *my* NFS based gdbm files are about 24k so :p to you!)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]