[pulseaudio-discuss] Names of network sinks

Russell Strong russell at strong.id.au
Thu May 14 03:30:45 PDT 2009

I have a problem publishing a sink because of a name collision the exact error
message is:

E: module-zeroconf-publish.c: avahi_entry_group_add_service_strlst(): Local name
collision

This appears to be coming about because I'm using remap to split up a card into
two stereo sinks.  The published names for the remapped sinks are identical.

The configuration I'm using is:

load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=card0 device=surround40:CA0106 channels=4
channel_map=front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right
load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=lounge_room device=surround40:CA0106_1
channels=4 channel_map=front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right
load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=dining_room master=card0 channels=2
master_channel_map=front-left,front-right channel_map=front-left,front-right
load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=bed_room master=card0 channels=2
master_channel_map=rear-left,rear-right channel_map=front-left,front-right
load-module module-zeroconf-publish
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=1

Any suggestions?

Using pavucontrol and avahi-discover, I see that the name for both dining_room
and bed_room would have been mapped to:

"Remapped ALSA PCM on surround40:CA0106 (CA0106) on root at brain.localnet"

The gnome-volume-control name is a lot easier to read "dining_room on
[192.168.42.3]:4713"

One more thing: Is there anyway to export only a subset of sinks because I don't
what to export the sink that was split up into two stereo sinks.