[pulseaudio-discuss] pulse output from Flash 10

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Fri May 22 03:01:40 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 02:45 +0100, Peter Joanes wrote:
> After looking into this some more, it seems that there are two problems:
>
> 1) When using the 32-bit flash plugin, there's no sound because my system
> lacks 32-bit pulseaudio client libraries.
> 2) With the 64-bit flash plugin, some pages work with the ALSA plugin whereas
> others crash the browser with 'illegal instruction' (this isn't related to
> audio -- Adobe have used an instruction that many x86_64 processors don't
> have).
>
> It does still appear to be the case that Flash doesn't directly use
> pulseaudio, but goes via ALSA.
>
> -		Peter.

Hi, I think it may be useful to know more on your system. For instance,
in your first email no mention was made of using 32-bit firefox on
64-bit linux. What distro are you using? In Arch, for example, which I
use, 64-bit flash works OOTB, and plays directly through pulse (once
I've properly installed pulse, of course, and set my Gnome audio to feed
through it). Any other system details may also help, what DE or lack
thereof, stuff like that.

Some examples of pages which produce differing behaviour would also be
good for the relevant experts to test out.