[pulseaudio-discuss] Ubuntu Hardy, Pulseaudio and Jack

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat May 23 16:38:21 PDT 2009

On Sat, 23.05.09 22:31, rosea grammostola (rosea.grammostola at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM, rosea grammostola <
> rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to use Ubuntu Hardy for music production. So sound is important. I
> > want to  have an easy to configure desktop environment but also want to work
> > with Jack a lot.
> >
> > Pulseaudio doesn t seems to be pretty well implemented in Ubuntu Hardy, so
> > I fixed it by this howto:
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578
> >
> > Now Iḿ wondering how to let pulseaudio nicely work together with Pulseaudio
> > (I know how to set up jackd).

This doesn't make much sense. PA is a sound server for the
desktop. JACK for audio production. Running both at the same time
seldomly makes any sense. You don't want event sounds from your window
manager mixed into your newly recording song.

If you really want to do this, then you can load "module-jack-sink"
and "module-jack-source" into the PA server, but this is mostly a toy
for niche uses and hacks. It's not intended to be used by a wider
audience. If you do use it you are expected to know your way
around. There's a bit of documentation available in the Wiki, but it's
most likely outdated.

Also, to be frank, the Ubuntu Forums are usually full of misleading
nonsense. I'd rather stay away from them.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net