[pulseaudio-discuss] Per-app flat volume adjustment is highly unintuitive, if mathematically consistent.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 26 19:16:11 PDT 2009

On Wed, 27.05.09 12:02, Finn Thain (fthain at telegraphics.com.au) wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > You are misunderstanding the flat volume logic.
>
> Probably.
>
> But since attenuator knobs don't tweak each other (rather I am in
> control), I think you can read what I wrote as arguing against flat volume
> logic, on the grounds of intuitive behaviour.

Sorry, I don't buy this. PA is not KDE. We try to handle things
automatically if we can and only expose a minimal set of controls.

I am trying my best to merge as many sliders in our pipeline into
one as possible. Sure it takes away control. But that's the purpose of
the whole think.

Yes, the logic is not tweaked that well right now. But hey, my job is
to improve things, and that's what I will be doing.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net