[pulseaudio-discuss] Working with PA and jack

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 27 12:24:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, 28.05.09 00:52, Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey at boosthardware.com) wrote:

>> D-Bus is available under AFL and GPL2. AFL should be fine for LGPL
>> uses and GPL2 should be fine for GPL uses. Even companies like Nokia
>> who run closed source software on Linux are fine with D-Bus.
>
> After the past couple of days I think Nokia is probably a bad example to
> use for leadership in automated systems design.

Leadership? Who said leadership?

I am just using Nokia as one example here. Nokia has one of the more
extreme licensing policies, e.g. they don't use GPL3 software and so
on. But still, D-Bus is perfectly fine with them.

If some JACK folks try to avoid D-Bus due to licensing reasons
regarding LGPL then they are apparently smoking something that is not
good for their health.

> There are some very real issues that jack has with being tied
> permanently to dbus and it has been pretty much written off as a compile
> time dependency with the current direction. The aim is to give jack a
> more modular api where dbus can be one of many communication interfaces.

Gah, this is so wrong in so many ways, but uh, neither is this a JACK
mailing list nor am I a JACK developer, so I'll leave it with that.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net