[pulseaudio-discuss] exiting on resume of rhythmbox

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 27 12:31:27 PDT 2009

On Wed, 27.05.09 14:33, Brian J. Murrell (brian at interlinx.bc.ca) wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 01:10 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Could you please to the following:
> >
> > 1) Add a system load monitor applet to your panel, so that you can monitor if
> > your CPU is idle or not.
> >
> > 2) Terminate PA in a terminal:
> >
> > $ pulseaudio -k
> >
> > 3) In the same terminal start PA with debbuging output on and the load limiter off:
> >
> > $ pulseaudio -vvvvv -no-cpu-limit
> >
> > 4) Try to reproduce the issue, watch the load monitor applet. Does CPU
> > load go up to 100% for longer time? if so, please open another
> > terminal, type "pacmd ls" and paste the output somwhere.
>
> OK.  Reproduced this with no cpu limiting.  The one thing I noticed is
> that the pulseaudio -vvvv output is very copiously:

Hmm, please try to reproduce this harder. The load limiter only becomes
active when the load produced by PA is very high for a longer time.

> Sure.  http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/pulseaudio_start.txt

Hmm, so you seem to be using the tunnel stuff a lot. I am pretty sure
this is related to the tunnel stuff since we already had other reports
about that.

Could you please disable this and reproduce?

> > Which PA evrsion is this?
>
> 0.9.15-1ubuntu2~ppa1

Have the Ubuntu kernel guys fixed all the
snd_pcm_delay()/snd_pcm_avail() issues in the HDA driver? i.e. stole
those pacthes from the F11 kernel? If not, please make sure they
integrate them. Without those patches cpu load issues are very likely.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net