[pulseaudio-discuss] Per-app flat volume adjustment is highly unintuitive, if mathematically consistent.

CJ van den Berg cj at vdbonline.com
Wed May 27 15:53:10 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 12:31:29AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I still think that my suggestion to drop the virtual volume altogether
> > in the UI and have the sink volume slider display the reference volume
> > is the right solution.
>
> I am not convinced. Think about this scenario: you have one stream
> playing. Reference sink volume, virtual sink volume and stream volume
> are at -inf dB. Now you move stream volume to 0 dB. This would not
> change the reference volume level, but would set the virtual volume to
> 0 dB. According to your suggestion the UI would stick to the ref
> volume, and hence you get *full* output with the UI showing volume at
> -inf dB. I am pretty sure that people would be confused about that
> even more than they are with the current logic.

Well, I think the stream volume should ‘push’ the reference volume. ie.
if stream volume > reference volume then reference volume == stream
volume. The would be pretty intuitive if you ask me.

That of course also eliminates the possibility of getting into an
overdrive situation, but IMHO that’s a feature, not a bug. :-)

> So yepp. We now found that
>
> a) presenting only virtual volume in the UI sucks
>
> b) presenting only ref volme in the UI sucks, too.
>
> So, what about integrating both values in some way?

[...]

Hmm, deja vu. Didn’t we have this exact same discussion once before?