[pulseaudio-discuss] Controlling pulseaudio volume with kmix

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat May 30 04:54:22 PDT 2009

On Saturday 30 May 2009 12:03:13 Piero Filippin wrote:
> Hi,
> first of all I want to thank everyone for their work on pulseaudio. I
> always thought Linux audio sucked, finally something which make sense
> (and works)!
> I enabled the a52 in asound.conf, and finally I can enjoy surround sound!
>
> However, I am having 2 issues. First of all, for some reasons I cannot
> understand, I cannot use the a52 output on pavucontrol, the sound is
> "choppy", this means something like 100ms of audio every second - but
> "simultaneous output on a52" works like a charm. Just a weirdness.
>
> The only serious issue: I am not able to do is to change the volume with
> kde4 kmix (I was able to before enabling a52). I can change the volume
> on every single application (eg volume slider in amarok2 or mplayer) or
> using pavucontrol, but changing the volume in kmix has no effect (only
> the master mute works, and it was not working before).
>
> Am I missing something obvious? Is this supposed to work? What I am
> really interested into is to change the "global" volume, kmix lets me
> use the mouse wheel on the tray icon and the volume keys on my
> multimedia keyboard.

Doesn't sound like a PA issue to me, more likely ALSA.
Stuff you could try:
1) right-clicking on KMix in the system tray and 'Select Master Channel' - try changing the master channel and see if that makes any difference.
2) in a terminal, try 'alasmixer' - this controls the same interface that KMix controls (i.e. the underlying ALSA mixer, not the PA mixer). You should be able to use that to work out which channel does what. Possibly, since you enabled a52, ALSA is confused about what the 'Master' channel is.

Mark