[pulseaudio-discuss] How to move streams to/from a remote PA server

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Sun Nov 1 05:54:27 PST 2009

Hello list,

I've got PA running (system-wide) on my HTPC box (connected to my
stereo) and it's also running on my workstation.  Zeroconf announcements
from the HTPC box seems to work just fine, at least it shows up in the
default server selection menu in padevchooser on my workstation, and if
I select it and start an audio-outputting application the sound is
played through the stereo.

What I've not been able to figure out, however, is how to move the
streams of already-running applications to (or from) the PA server on
the HTPC box from (or to) the workstation.  The move stream menu in the
volume control applet only offers to move the stream to different output
devices local to the PA server the stream is currently running on.  As I
understand it, moving around streams to arbirary output devices on
arbitrary PA serves is supposed to be a core PA feature, so I'm a bit
stumped as how to actually go about doing it.  I'd appreciate any pointers!

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson