[pulseaudio-discuss] Generic device names in pavucontrol

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Nov 3 13:11:51 PST 2009

On Tue, 03.11.09 23:06, Valmantas Palikša (walmis at gmail.com) wrote:

> Since upgrading to ubuntu 9.10 devices in pavucontrol and gnome sound
> settings are listed as "Internal Audio Analog Stereo". I have two sound
> cards on my pc and both of them are listed with the same name.
> Previously they were listed with actual card names like "VIA 8237", so
> now it's kind of unclear which card should be used when moving streams
> for example.
>
> Here's a fragment from pactl list
>
> Card #1
> 	Name: alsa_card.pci-0000_00_11.5
> 	Driver: module-alsa-card.c
> 	Owner Module: 5
> 	Properties:
> 		alsa.card = "1"
> 		alsa.card_name = "VIA 8237"

Hmm, that is surprising. How come you have two cards on PCI bus 0?
Could you provide your lspci output?

Currently we use the "Internal sound card" name for all PCI cards
that are on PCU bus #0, which normally should be internal bus of the
chipset. In your case this seems be an invalid assumption?

The name is assigned indirectly, based on the SOUND_FORM_FACTOR udev
property, which is set in /lib/udev/rules.d/78-sound-card.rules. You
should be able to drop that special label by commenting a rule in
that file.

Ideally however I'd like to see this fixed properly, i.e. I am
wondering if there is some way so that we can safely identify internal
sound cards even for setups like yours.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net