[pulseaudio-discuss] Module-combine adjust time question

Matthew Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Fri Nov 6 08:57:02 PST 2009

Hello all,

I was wondering about the specifics of the adjust time option. In the
wiki there is a comment that setting the value to 0 will cause no
periodic sample rate adjustments ever. Does that mean that all sinks
will remain at their default/native sample rates (and thus no
resampling) for all time or is there an initial adjustment (and thus
resampling) on startup? I assume this would cause the audio playback to
slowly drift apart between sinks, but would that only be true if there
was a continuous audio stream or would the buffering re-align every time
audio stops and the streams go corked/silent?

My goal behind this question is to get max audio quality (ie eliminate
resampling if possible) while maintaining reasonably good playback
alignment between devices. Each playback device is in a different room
so perfection is not necessary.

Thanks,
Matt