[pulseaudio-discuss] Howto debug "Connection refused" problem

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 9 13:24:28 PST 2009

On Mon, 09.11.09 12:02, Kees Bakker (kees.bakker at altium.nl) wrote:

> BTW. I've got pulseaudio 0.9.10 installed. But the pulse library packages
> are 0.9.19!! Could this be a problem? If yes, then I'm in trouble because
> I can't downgrade libpulse0 and friends due to dependencies to a lot of
> other packages, and upgrading pulseaudio to 0.9.19 is not possible either.

We have changed the socket path used for communication between PA and
the clients. That's why the old PA server will not be found by the new
client. The protocol should have stayed compatible however, so either
use the TCP access method (as Colin suggested) or set $PULSE_SERVER to
the full unix socket path.

If anybody cares enough I am happy to take a patch that makes sure
that PA tries to connect to PA versions that old, too. We have some
code like that for very old PA versions, there is just something
missing for some versions in the middle.

However I generally can only recommend running the same client and
server version together, as that is the only thing I test, and we
don't have the testing or bugfixing manpower to support any other
combinations properly.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net