[pulseaudio-discuss] Adding PulseAudio Capture to OpenAL

Mike Dickson mike.dickson at rivendellnh.com
Mon Nov 16 11:39:47 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 15:37 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Mike Dickson at 13/11/09 14:21 did gyre and gimble:
> > Hmm, ok, very interesting...
> >
> > The test code I have (and probably the Vivox SLVoice client which is the
> > real goal) opens an output stream first and then tries to open the
> > capture device. It looks like it initializes a "mainloop" for both
> > streams.  Is that correct behavior or a problem?  I'll do some debugging
> > around this and see if I can't ferret out a problem.
>
> There should only really be one mainloop for a given PA context. If they
> start two contexts (which means two connections to PA then there would
> probably need to be two mainloops. I'm not really sure tho' as I don't
> really know how the integration works.

I've done some debugging around this and have more data.  The code does
initialize 2 mainloops for the 2 channels.  It opens the output channel
first and this is successful.  The hang happens when opening the capture
session. I see an AUTHORIZING event come back and then it hangs.  The
mainloop thread is still running.

Interesting to note, if I switch the order and open the capture session
first it will hang in exactly the same way when opening the output
side.

Any suggestion on how to debug what's happening in the server and coming
back to the openal library?

Mike