[pulseaudio-discuss] 0.9.20 Regression: PCM not controlled

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Nov 16 02:14:59 PST 2009

Hi,

It seem that since upgrading to 0.9.20, my USB speakers do not support
hardware volume control properly.

The alsa mixer does not have Master, only PCM so the the initial volume
of 48% on the speakers was such that I could hardly hear anything....

This used to work OK with 0.9.19 AFAIK (never really had to think about
it!).

Here is amixer output and I've attached the pulseaudio -vvv and pcmd ls.

Simple mixer control 'Bass',0
   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Capture channels: Mono
   Limits: 0 - 12
   Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'Treble',0
   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Capture channels: Mono
   Limits: 0 - 3
   Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
   Limits: Playback 0 - 61
   Mono:
   Front Left: Playback 29 [48%] [-32.00dB] [on]
   Front Right: Playback 29 [48%] [-32.00dB] [on]

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]