[pulseaudio-discuss] Unable to compile for some values of CHOST (on x86_64)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Oct 2 01:14:25 PDT 2009

On Wed, 30.09.09 19:36, Nix (nix at esperi.org.uk) wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2009, Lennart Poettering said:
> > No, --as-needed is a klduge. We explicitly don't support that because
> > there is a cyclic dep between libpulse and libpulsecommon. Try to
> > google or grep the archives for an explanation for that.
>
> You might want to add a -Wl,--no-as-needed then, 'cos more and more
> distros are turning this on by default (usually by hacking GCC's default
> specs). It really is a seriously good idea for the vast majority of
> applications. (Last time I measured this it reduced the number of
> DT_NEEDEDs across the whole system by in excess of a third.)

I think using --as-neded is crack and people don't know what they are
doing when they use this. That said I'd be willing to merge a patch
that adds -Wl,--no-as-needed to LDFLAGS if it is supported, just to
avoid further bug reports about this. Would you be willing to cook up
a patch?

Thanks,

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net