[pulseaudio-discuss] No startup detection with module-udev-detect in PulseAudio 0.9.18

Matthew W. S. Bell matthew at bells23.org.uk
Fri Oct 2 11:26:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 09:57 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 02.10.09 03:58, Matthew W. S. Bell (matthew at bells23.org.uk) wrote:
> The logic behind the actions for sound card devices is a bit
> weird. Have you seen the comments at the top of
> /lib/udev/rules.d/78-sound-card.rules?

Yes.

> If those rules are not installed then things will not work. Which is
> one of the reasons we require a brand new udev in PA. Last time I
> checked Debian didn't have udev 143. Does it have that now? If it
> doesn't then it is not exactly surprising if things don't work for
> you.

Yep, using udev 146, passing the configure check.

> Also, for some weird reason Marco modifies the default udev rules
> heavily. Which is really something he shouldn't do.

I shall add that to the already long list.

> > To test this, I ran 'udevadm trigger', which resulted in both cards
> > being detected. However, I now cannot reproduce the original problem.
>
> This only triggers "change" events, which is what PA looks for. Try
> triggering "add" events.

Er, yes, doing this works, because they are change events. The point is
that when module-udev-detect starts, it use the udev_enumerate interface
to get udev devices, and this is not a monitor interface. Therefore,
there is NO action associated with the device, so nothing gets triggered
in process_device(). I think.

Matthew