[pulseaudio-discuss] "passthrough" audio (eg. AC3 / DTS / WM9)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 5 13:16:13 PDT 2009

On Mon, 05.10.09 14:30, Dave Moore (davewantsmoore at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi Everyone.  I'm really sorry if this has been covered before, I've read
> back through the past 6 months list history and found nothing.... and my OS
> (ubuntu) and application support forums/lists are not being very helpful.
>
> I would like to pass digital audio completely unaltered ("bit-stream") to my
> SPDIF output - Can this be done with pulseaudio?

No. Not at this time. (See other mails in this thread for what is planned)

If you need ac3 pass-thru then you need to bypass PA. Just make sure
you are not using the SPDIF port for PA (use g-v-c or pavucontrol and
make sure the sound card is notconfigured for any of the 'digital
iec985' modes).

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net