[pulseaudio-discuss] Windows7 audio architecture

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Oct 18 10:14:53 PDT 2009

On Sun, 18.10.09 13:18, Ilyes Gouta (ilyes.gouta at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just came by an interesting interview on Microsoft's Channel9 where
> the host interviews the engineers behind the Windows7 audio
> architecture and actually they provide some nice insights about how
> the audio card is driven from user-space and how things are put in
> place to reduce latency and improve the overall streaming performance.
> The video is available at:
> http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Elliot-H-Omiya-Larry-Osterman-and-Frank-Yerrace-Inside-Windows-7-Audio-Stack/
> for download in various formats. Here is a direct download URL:
> http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/ch9/0/2/8/9/7/4/InsideWin7Audio_ch9.wmv

Thanks for the link. This is really quite interesting.

It's fun that they now are playing catch up with us. Allowing streams
to move between devices during playback and automatic per-role routing
seem to be the big new features in Windows7 audio. And we had that for
a longer time now already ;-)

/me will blog about that...

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net