[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatic selection of an audio sink depending on value of ENV variable

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Mon Oct 19 03:20:47 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 16:38 +0800, Leszek Koltunski wrote:
> Every time I work on the TV, the sound should be sent to hw:1.0, so I
> have to fire up the new 'gnome-sound-properties 2.28' (BTW, wonderful
> app! simple and effective) and select hw:1.0 to be the audio sink for
> now. Worse, since the TV is on 2nd X screen, 'gnome-sound-properties'
> applet won't start there ( it claims there is already one running -
> sure there is, on the monitor - and refuses to start ).

Now I don't necessarily agree with their stance, but it is generally not
regarded a good idea to have the same user logged in to the same GNOME
profile twice.

I know — I get bitten by this too when I want to set up a multiseat
kiosk-type setup.

If you want a solution that 'just works', then either log off your
primary display, or use a separate user with a separate GNOME profile.

(This is a bug in GNOME though, IMO, not your fault.)