[pulseaudio-discuss] Desperation with idling

Alvaro Alonso Jiménez alvaroalo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 06:09:47 PDT 2009

Ok, let see, I have finally made it work.
However, I have another drawback. Since I am using the audio stream to be
multiplexed with video with ffmpeg, I have noticed that when sending audio,
ffmpeg works at a normal codifying rate. However, when having silence, it
works at a slower rate, and then, the final result is a bit unpleasant,
since the final video image goes "by jumps" - this is, the codifier just
codify each 2 seconds or so, so the image just changes after 2 secs -.
I don't know if it has to do with pulseaudio or ffmpeg, I have started
looking in ffmpeg, but if u know there's a problem in pulseaudio, please let
me know!!!

Regards.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net>wrote:

> On Tue, 13.10.09 10:58, Alvaro Alonso Jiménez (alvaroalo at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Ok, I will try to be more explicit.
> >
> > I am trying to grab the sound of some applications using the parec tool.
> > want to have independent audio sinks, one for each application, task that
> > have accomplished creating different null-sinks, redirecting the audio
> > streams of that applications to that sinks, and finally, specifying the
> > corresponding monitors when using parec.
> >
> > The problem comes from the fact that when the application I want to grab
> the
> > sound from has no sound - I am testing it with firefox and a website with
> no
> > sound -, and the sink is one of those I have just created. In these
> > conditions, when executing parec, the program states blocked waiting for
> an
> > audio stream - and despite having the module suspend-on-idle disabled -.
> If
> > the application has sound - firefox with a website with sound -,
> everything
> > works fine!!!!
>
> Hmm, a sink to which monitor source you connect will hand you audio as
> long as it is not suspended. module-suspend-on-idle will autosuspend
> things for you after 2s. So, consider disabling that.
>
> You can use "pacmd ls" to verify the current state of a sink. As long
> as it is not marked as "SUSPENDED" you should get audio, and if there
> is nothing playing you should get silence, but you really should get it.
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering                        Red Hat, Inc.
> lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
> http://0pointer.net/lennart/           GnuPG 0x1A015CC4

Alvaro Alonso Jiménez
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid