[pulseaudio-discuss] question to recording with pa.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 20 07:38:16 PDT 2009

On Tue, 20.10.09 12:24, Alexey Fisher (bug-track at fisher-privat.net) wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> i played a bit with pa and have question:
> I know pa will resample stream if my src use 44100Hz and my sink need
> 16000Hz, so it take some cpu (~10%) time. Why it take so mach CPU even
> if src and sink are same? On play back with sink=src pa almost not use
> cpu, why on record?

No resampling should take place if source and stream sample rate
match.  Please provide the output of "pacmd ls" which could verify
that this is the case.

> And one more question: are there any way to have multiple default rates?
> My sound card support 32000,44100,48000 ... and i think it's really sad
> if pa resample 48000 down to 44100.. it's more about cpu, not quality.

This doesn't fly, see my explanations here:

https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2009-October/005194.html

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net