[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio unstable on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 24 08:35:28 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Alexandre Savard at 23/10/09 23:55 did gyre and gimble:
> I first make sure that PA runs timer scheduling mode (tsched=1) for ALSA
> devices.

Have you made sure that the alsa driver in use on your system supports
this correctly? Most drivers do, but there are still a few problems at
that level as far as I know.

> Is this parameter is the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf "realtime-scheduling =
> yes"

Realtime schedulling is now handled by rtkit. Sadly I am led to believe
that unlike other distros begin released just now (inlcuding Mandriva
and Fedora) Ubunutu are not shipping rtkit. As I don't follow Ubuntu
developments, this could be outdated info.

> Using these pstream attributes provide me these debug messages in
> pulseaudio:
>
> attributes->maxlength = (uint32_t) -1;
> attributes->tlength = 4096;
> attributes->prebuf = (uint32_t) -1;
> attributes->minreq = (uint32_t) -1;
> attributes->fragsize = (uint32_t) -1;
>
> pa_stream_connect_playback( s , NULL , attributes,
> PA_STREAM_ADJUST_LATENCY, &_volume, NULL)

I'll let Lennart comment on the attributes specifically as I'm no expert
here.

> I: sink-input.c:     media.role = "phone"

Just one very minor reminder, please tag the media.role as "event" for
the ringing sound (you maybe already do!) and any event sounds you
generate internally (i.e. not via FDO sound theme specs/libcanberra) as
it's important to have this set differently than the call itself :)

Cheers

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]