[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio ignores X11 properties of screens

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Oct 25 15:57:05 PDT 2009

On Sun, 25.10.09 14:11, Leszek Koltunski (leszek at koltunski.pl) wrote:

> ( continuation of a thread about my 'dual screen' setup: 'Automatic
> selection of an audio sink depending on value of ENV variable ' )
>
> I've got 1 X server running and 2 screens: 0.0 and 0.1; 2 soundcards:
>
> leszek at leszek-desktop:~$ pacmd list-sinks | grep name | grep output
> 	name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_07.0.analog-stereo>
> 	name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_01_06.0.analog-stereo>
>
> I would like to set up Pulse so that whenever I'm in 0.0, sound gets
> routed to alsa_output.pci-0000_01_06.0.analog-stereo, and whenever I
> work in 0.1 - to alsa_output.pci-0000_00_07.0.analog-stereo.
>
> I've been advised that Pulse is able to get its default sink from X
> properties of the root window. Let's try then:

PA only ever looks on the first screen of a display.

Shoudln't be too hard to fix that though, but I am not even convinced
that this is really a good idea. At least not, unless there is a
fallback to look on the first screen. Nonetheless, sane patches
welcome, as usual.

I wasn't aware that anyone actually uses multiple screens on a single
display -- and quite frankly I don't get why you do that. So
personally I am not too concernced with fixing this. So if you want to
see this fixed, then please provide a patch!

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net