[pulseaudio-discuss] setting a volume on a short lived stream

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Oct 30 05:23:49 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Brian J. Murrell at 30/10/09 11:54 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 21:13 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> This beeb should be marked with media.role=event and thus should be
>> adjustable via the "Sound Events" slider in pavucontrol should control
>> your volume. That said, I'm not 100% certain how metacity produces this
>> sound, but I suspect it's via libcanberra in which case it's definitely
>> setup like that.
>
> Nope.  It's done through alsa.  When it shows up ever so briefly in
> pavucontrol it says:
>
> ALSA plug-in [metacity]
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't hang around long enough to get a handle on the
> slider.

Then the code in metacity should probably be updated to either:
  a) Use libcanberra and trigger either "bell-terminal" or
"bell-window-system" sound events (recommended)
  b) Export an env var to set media.role=event prior to calling doing
it's ASLA stuff.

(although the generic problem of short sound events still remains as
noted elsewhere in this thread - although as stated short sounds are
99.999% of the time "events" anyway.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]