[pulseaudio-discuss] start-pulseaudio-x11

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Sep 1 15:51:30 PDT 2009

On Wed, 02.09.09 00:32, Malte Gell (malte.gell at gmx.de) wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just discovered this little wrapper script start-pulseaudio-x11. What is the
> exact purpose of this script? Should it be used to start Pulse when using X?
>
> So far I have issued a simple "pulseaudio --high-priority --realtime --start"
> command. Should this wrapper script be used instead?

It is recommended to run PA via the XDG autostart file
/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop which calls
start-pulseaudio-x11. That script starts PA via pulseaudio --start and
then loads a cuple of X11 related modules into it. The idea is that
this way a single PA instance can be shared among multiple parallel
logins of the same user, so that they share most modules but will get
a seperate set of X11 modules for each session (and hence each
$DISPLAY) you are arctive in.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net