[pulseaudio-discuss] issue playing 44.1 Khz stereo using Pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 15 05:44:27 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Harsha, Priya at 15/09/09 10:10 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> When I play a 44.1Khz stereo file through aplay, the
> file is smooth and clear. When the same 44.1 Khz file
> is played through paplay or any player using Pulseaudio
> the playback is noisy. I see that the stereo file is
> converted into mono and then played. Could there be an
> issue because of the conversion?

Perhaps paplay is misbehaving but do you you have some kind of virtual
sink created and have you previously moved a paplay stream to this sink?

Pulseaudio will remember what sink a given application has last used and
restore it to using that sink.

If this is the case, simply play something with paplay and then move the
stream to the right sink by running pavucontrol.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]