[pulseaudio-discuss] [0.9.17]Missing audio-headset-bluetooth icon terminates pavucontrol

Peter Hurley phurley at charter.net
Fri Sep 18 11:28:48 PDT 2009

Peter Hurley wrote:
> Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> This has been fixed in pavucontrol a while back. Please update!
>>
> Thanks - I thought I was running the current release.  Somehow I
> overlooked the announcement of 0.9.9...
>
> Peter

Hi Lennart,

Turns out this is more easily said than done.  The new libcanberra
dependency is a fair bit of work to resolve.

Also, I'm not clear why the udev detection code isn't considered
experimental in pulseaudio.  Deprecating module-detect already seems a
bit hasty.  module-udev-detect depends on a version of udev that's
barely 3 months old.  Additionally, even with the revised udev, some
fairly graceless means of making that work are employed.

Based on the shortcomings of udev exposed by pulseaudio's usage, perhaps
pushing for a more appropriate udev messaging sequence/device
enumeration/driver status makes sense?

Regards,
Peter