[pulseaudio-discuss] Moblin AudioManager (was: Re: Adding "timeout=0" to module module-suspend-on-idle)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Sep 19 04:56:29 PDT 2009

While looking into some pulseaudio but reports on this list, I learned
about Mobin's AudioManager which appears to be a fork of pulseaudio
(i.e. the git repository is not a clone of upstream PA, so it seems
forky to me):
http://git.moblin.org/cgit.cgi/audiomanager/

Information about audio manager is here:
http://moblin.org/community/blogs/zbt/2009/audio-manager-overview
http://moblin.org/community/blogs/zbt/2009/audio-manager-streams
http://moblin.org/community/blogs/zbt/2009/audio-manager-internal-stream-list
http://moblin.org/community/blogs/zbt/2009/audio-manager-volume-ramping

This seems to be a big DBUS API built on top of PulseAudio to control
streams that cannot pass through PA (e.g. encoded MP3 streams etc.).

I'm not really sure I fully understand what it does but it looks like it
can implement policy based routing? Is this the case?

If so it may have some overlap with my module-device-manager that I'm
working on in my tree to provide better support for KDE. It may also
have some overlap with Tanu's DBUS API (not really sure).

Can some of the Mobin guys maybe talk about some of their extensions and
which ones may be suitable for upstreaming to pulseaudio? Can they also
comment as to if they are intending to push these upstream or if this is
just going to remain a fork?

Cheers

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]