[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio states blocked

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Sep 26 02:49:42 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 26/09/09 03:05 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 10:59 +1000, Jeremy Visser wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 18:36 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> All I can say is as I originally stated: don't use pacmd for anything
>>> you want to do scripting wise. Just use pactl instead.
>> <sarcasm>
>> Because setting a default sink is *so* possible with pactl. Ha ha ha...
>> </sarcasm>
> Why not patch pactl to do that, then?
>
> pactl is supposed to be for scripting, pacmd for user control, AFAIK.

Yup, pactl is meant for scripting (it's man page is also out of date as
it supports more than that). pacmd does not use the pulse protocol and
needs a special module to be loaded and will only work on the local
machine, ignoring completely the various mechanisms to control the server.

Besides the original question was about listing modules not setting
default sinks.

And besides, setting the default sink is really not that useful.
module-stream-restore will save the sink a given stream has used and
will restore it. The "default" sink is just a fallback when no other
routing rule is encountered.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]