[pulseaudio-discuss] Unable to compile for some values of CHOST (on x86_64)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Sep 30 11:36:05 PDT 2009

On 30 Sep 2009, Lennart Poettering said:
> No, --as-needed is a klduge. We explicitly don't support that because
> there is a cyclic dep between libpulse and libpulsecommon. Try to
> google or grep the archives for an explanation for that.

You might want to add a -Wl,--no-as-needed then, 'cos more and more
distros are turning this on by default (usually by hacking GCC's default
specs). It really is a seriously good idea for the vast majority of
applications. (Last time I measured this it reduced the number of
DT_NEEDEDs across the whole system by in excess of a third.)

> Also, what's the point? I am pretty sure I can come up with lots of
> options that make PA fail to build, but why should that matter? For
> example I am quite sure that CFLAGS=--oh-lets-break-things makes the
> PA build fail.

Yeah, but --oh-lets-break-things isn't being turned on by default by the
majority of distros. --as-needed pretty much is by now, it's the way
shared library linkage was always intended to work and the toolchain
developers are thinking of flipping it on by default fairly soon.