[pulseaudio-discuss] Sources only working when pavucontrol is running

Brendon Costa brendon.j.costa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 23:36:39 PDT 2010

Hi again,

Thanks for the info on the default devices. I have it working fine now.

However I have run into another problem. When I run my application,
the sinks are working fine and audio sounds good. However the sources
are not working correctly. If i run my app, i get occasional bursts of
sound from whatever source I am using instead of a continuous stream
of audio. If while my app is running i then start the pavucontrol
application, everything seems to magically start working perfectly.
Somehow starting the pavucontrol application fixes whatever problem my
application is experiencing.

Does anyone know what the pavucontrol application does that might be
affect my application? Does anyone know if it changes the priority of
the server or change buffer sizes etc?

Any suggestions on what i can do to track this problem down?

Thanks,
Brendon.