[pulseaudio-discuss] using near 100% CPU when doing nothing

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 11 06:22:51 PDT 2010

Am Samstag, den 10.04.2010, 19:55 +0000 schrieb Brian J.Murrell:
> I have a(one of a number of)Ubuntu Karmic systems here running pulseaudio
> 0.9.19.  On this particular system, PA wants to eat as much CPU as is
> available.  It will use up near 100% on this system when it's otherwise idle.

Did you try to record something or use the microphone?

> This particular machine is the only one of several, as I say, with this problem
> and they are all up-to-date, so I wonder if this is particular to the sound
> hardware in this machine.  It has in it:
>
> 04:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller) (rev 10)
> 05:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 07)
>
> What other information can I gather to help diagnose this problem?

Maybe it is related to ticket #758 [1] which commit [2][3][4] in ALSA
fixed for me kind of. What CODEC chip do you have in your system?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/758
[2] http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2010-February/thread.html#25109