[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound output is muted at 16% volume

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 12 03:56:30 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Marti Raudsepp at 12/04/10 09:58 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi Colin, thanks for your response. Any comments about the other problem though?
>
>> 'Twas brillig, and Marti Raudsepp at 11/04/10 21:06 did gyre and gimble:
>>> I tried working around this by changing the PCM level in alsamixer,
>>> but whenever a new client connects, PulseAudio thinks it's smarter
>>> than me and resets the PCM mixer -- to somewhere between 0.00 ...
>>> -0.60 dB (?!), and sets the master level to 0% again
>>>
>>> So there are 2 distinct problems:
>>> [...]
>>> 2. If PulseAudio wants to maximize some volume controls, it should set
>>> them at 0.0 dB, not -0.60 dB

This is a product of how PA controls the volumes. It maintains
completely control over the whole pipeline in order to adjust the volume
in the most appropriate way.

Here is the info on how it works which IIRC should explain it:
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PulseAudioStoleMyVolumes

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]