[pulseaudio-discuss] New kernel 2.6.34-rc4, no audio

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Apr 18 13:34:04 PDT 2010

On Sunday 18 April 2010, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>'Twas brillig, and Daniel Chen at 18/04/10 20:50 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
wrote:
>>> Pulseaudio-vvv is the file you want to click on.  I am seeing a file
>>> list at <http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/Genes-os9-stf/>
>>
>> From your posted log file:
>>
>> D: module-udev-detect.c: /dev/snd/controlC0 is accessible: no
>> [...]
>> D: module-always-sink.c: Autoloading null-sink as no other sinks
>> detected.
>
>Yup, so for whatever reason we can't access this file. Possibly because
>it doesn't exist. i.e. your problem is with the alsa setup.
>
>Col

IIRC that particular config didn't pre-allocate the oss stuff, and wasn't
building any oss compat stuffs either.  Is that related?  I don't know if the
one that works does, from the working .config:
[root at coyote linux-2.6.34-rc4]# grep OSS .config
CONFIG_ARCH_HIBERNATION_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUSPEND_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST=m
CONFIG_SSB_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SSB_PCIHOST_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SSB_PCMCIAHOST_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SSB_SDIOHOST_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SSB_DRIVER_PCICORE_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE_PRECLAIM is not set
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
# CONFIG_SLICOSS is not set

From the 32 bit version:
[root at coyote linux-2.6.34-rc3]# grep OSS .config
CONFIG_ARCH_HIBERNATION_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUSPEND_POSSIBLE=y
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
CONFIG_SSB_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SSB_PCIHOST_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SSB_SDIOHOST_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SSB_DRIVER_PCICORE_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE_PRECLAIM=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
[root at coyote linux-2.6.34-rc3]#

Humm, so I guess it was doing most of those items.  Me, goes off scratching
seriously thinning white hair.  Too much forest, can't see the trees. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

	--Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say