[pulseaudio-discuss] Getting cork notifications/subscritpions for other streams

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 19 00:51:10 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 19/04/10 04:11 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, 15.04.10 09:05, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>
>> Hi Lennart,
>>
>> I've looked at the API, but maybe I was too drunk...
>>
>> Is there any way that I can get a subscription callback or similar when
>> a stream is corked? Due to the nature of this integration, the playback
>> stream itself is actually hidden from me... so I cannot check
>> pa_stream_is_corked() or anything like that.
>
> We currently expose no information about that, but we probably could add
> that to the sink_input_info data.

How does this work with API/ABI stability? Do you have to do a version
check in the client code?

>> Ideally it would just be another subscription that I could subscribe to.
>>
>> Is this possible? If not, is there a reason it's not, and if there is no
>> reason, would you mind if I implemented it :)
>
> What would you use this for?

Well presently it's something I want to do for Phonon. Due to the way it
works I have a PA "control" connection in phonon itself but deligate to
the backend itself to do the actual audio streaming/decoding/playback.
All I do is force the backend to use it's "pulse" output. This allows me
to get nice integration with PA without having to code it into all the
backends themselves (and by "backends" I mean the phonon code, not the
gstreamer, vlc, mplayer or xine code etc.). While this is a round about
route to do it, it works quite well in practice.

What I want to do now is change the phonon state to "paused" whenever a
cork request comes in. This will allow all phonon apps to work "as
intended" WRT corking (another reason to disable module-x11-cork-request
by default)

So in order to do this, I need to be able to get the cork notification
from my "control" connection and take action.

I wouldn't be in the least bit offended or surprised if you call this a
hack :p I'm not sure I can think of any other use cases for the info at
present, but there's bound to be one :p

Col

PS more info on how the phonon stuff works:

http://colin.guthr.ie/2009/10/so-how-does-the-kde-pulseaudio-support-work-anyway/

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]